Friday, April 12, 2013

Sandpaper on the Brain

Image Courtesy of [Idea go] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I felt very off yesterday. 
I was having symptoms of noise sensitivity;  and my husband suggested I get off the computer because of the light.  Usually, I can block a certain amount of sound, but I felt bombarded.  I went out on the porch, and the birds sounded loud to me.  I had to turn off our little fountain, because the water was like sandpaper on my brain.

Hypersensitivity to noise and light is an annoying symptom of Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS.  I haven't quite figured out what triggers my symptoms.  Have you?

These kinds of sensitivities can be found in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder too.  It is also called Hypervigilence Syndrome.  Could it be some of the same changes that occur in the brains of people who struggle with PTSD  also occur in the brains of Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?  For those of us that deal with this, whether it is all the time or when something triggers it, we must find solutions that help these areas of our brain to calm down, because it often seems to affect how our whole body feels.  It is an uncomfortable feeling to feel like your nerves are jittery.  They actually feel as if they are moving inside of your body.  I have heard this described as the heebie jeebies, having the jitters, one's skin is crawling, and one's nerves are on end.  

Sometimes, you can get away from the light source or noise to rest, and that helps.  Sometimes, it just seems more irritating to be still, because your nerves feel like they are moving inside your body.  Visualization exercises can be helpful.  And some people can distract themselves by reading, but only if they can focus.  Some doctors will dispense anti-anxiety medication for the times you cannot find relief.  

Something, that has helped me in the past is taking Omega 3 rich fish oil, which is something I have gotten out of the habit of doing.  I got so busy, I began to tire of getting together my weekly supplements.  Maybe, I should be taking it again.  What works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is always lovely hearing from you.
Deborah