Wednesday, July 31, 2013

In With the Positive, Out With the Negative

Image Courtesy of [graur razvan ionut ]/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Routines are great.  That is one of the things that FlyLady encourages people to have;  however, chronic fatigue and illness often seems to to be the antithesis to daily rituals. When you want to forge on ahead, life seems to be an endless cycle of malaise, rest, and pushing ourselves harder than you should.  Chronic fatigue and pain from Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, and autoimmune illnesses slow you down.

One of my husband's favorite sayings is "Don't over-do."  He has seen what happens to me when I try to do too much.  The fact of the matter is I am unable to keep up the schedule I did in the past.  It took me too many years to admit that, partly because I did not understand how to work within the parameters of my illness.  It took me becoming a bedridden invalid for almost a year, before I figured out how to get stronger and pace myself better.  It also took that drop to the bottom to stop letting guilt of what I thought I should be doing go.

Not everyone reading this is at the same level of pain and fatigue.  Thirty years ago, I pushed through much of my pain and fatigue.  However, more stress and additional illnesses have taken me beyond the point that I can push myself and lead the life I did when I was younger.  FlyLady's BabySteps work for many people;  however, I admit to not being able to keep up.  I've had to learn to be flexible and work around my illness.

 It is helpful to develop your own routine:  in fact, you probably already have one.  However, I have found routines can be improved with small steps.  Decide what things work for you.  I have suggested ways to do this in previous articles.  Also, I  make suggestions on my Facebook Page, Chronic Illness and Creative Decluttering several times a week.  When I learn a new way to manage my day, I share it.  Hopefully, you will make comments, as well as sharing your ideas.  We can learn from one another.

Remember, there are not many things we use in life that are one size fits all.  I think this applies to our routines and chores as well, especially when dealing with a disability or an illness.

Finally, it takes time to make changes in your life.  Slow and sure makes a difference, even when you have a flare-up or relapse.  Habits don't change overnight, nor does clutter simply disappear.  Give yourself some positive self-talk, and throw out the negative.  It's time to find out what kind of routine works for you. 

God bless you.

Gentle Hugs,

Deborah

3 comments:

  1. Just found your blog! Looking forward to reading more!

    Thank you,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Just found your blog. Looking forward to reading more!

    Thanks,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you found me. I need to get back in the swing of things. I think my body is still recovering from my vacation. I will probably end up writing about that.

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely hearing from you.
Deborah