Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Finding a New Perspective


Sometimes you just need a little bit of alone time to clear your head and see things from a new perspective. 
                                         ~Katrina Mayer

Yesterday, a friend of mine sent this quote to me on Facebook.  The more I thought about it, the more I know , that I have to take a break.  I'm tired, I'm sick, and I need to spend time away from the computer.  Also, my house is beginning to suffer the consequences of the last few weeks;  even though, it has been in worse shape than now.   

Yes, I have that problem too.  Actually, I think you already knew that.  I am not Mrs. Perfect Housekeeper:  I do the best I can.  And lately, my body has required more naps and I still feel too  fatigued.  Even my brain feels fatigued, and it is affecting me.

Jesus took time away from the crowds during His ministry.  If He needed that, how much more is that necessary for the rest of us.  Thus, taking note of that in my own life, I know am feeling drained.  So, if I miss someone's comment on Facebook or I don't post everyday, I haven't left.  I am taking a break, spending time with the Lord, working in my house, and resting.   Maybe, I will even go to the park.

Deborah needs to take care of Deborah, just like you all need to take care of yourselves.  And, if we don't take care of ourselves it is hard to minister to other people's needs.  Therefore, I declare an October break for at least a week, unless I am hit with a moment of inspiration that cannot be ignored.  

Take note of this in your own lives.  When you are feeling emptied out and fatigued to the core, it may be time to step back and reassess.  You may not even need to reassess:  you may need to play and nurture your inner child.   The point is we all need mini-vacations, even if it is just for a day.  That doesn't mean you have to go out of town.   But, you may need a shift from the norm, especially if you feel you are in a rut.  Even that can be done at home.  

Maybe, you need to pamper yourself a little:  do your nails, get your hair trimmed, and shave your legs.  Men, you don't have to shave your legs or do your nails, other than trimming them.  Maybe, you need to go on a picnic, go golfing, go fishing, or take a walk in the park.  

Have you been procrastinating on doing some things that would renew your spirit:  painting a picture, playing the piano, or writing a poem?  Do you need a mini-retreat with your Bible and a journal to spend unhurried time with God?

What do you need?  What would minister to your mind, your body, and your spirit?  Even an hour away is better than none.

My prayer is that you find time to rest and renew.  We get so busy, that it is sometimes hard to slow our minds down;  then, all of a sudden, we realize we have run out of inspiration.  Or, we may have it, but we are too tired to actually implement it.

That's where I am.  So, I know you will understand as I take a break.  I may even make the doctor's appointment I put off.  The one I had for October was cancelled by my doctor's office, and I never seem to call them at the right time.   

Remember -- you need to care for yourself in order to be able to care for others.  When you have a chronic illness, you cannot continually run on empty, because you will suffer the consequences.  We will feel like better husbands, wives, grandmothers, mothers, fathers, grandfathers, and friends when we care for ourselves.  It's a matter of pacing ourselves, and we sometimes need longer blocks of time to renew. 

Sometimes, we may feel a little like we are on a runaway train;  that, it is impossible to get off.  Hey!  It's not impossible.  We can get off.  We just have to do it.

I am doing it.

I plan to see you in about a week.

Love, Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is always lovely hearing from you.
Deborah