Monday, November 19, 2012

Sidetracked or On Track?

All I need is one small thing to sidetrack me.  My mind can really get going on that plant I have been meaning to clip out of the gardens for months or that drawer that needs to be cleaned out.  Does that happen to you? Do you ever walk by something and after 20 to 30 minutes, you realize your body isn't used to what you are doing, but you want to finish the job?  That happened to me, because I told my husband I would take the dog out, because he couldn't come home for lunch.  One thing leads to another.

When I started clipping those weed plants, that you can't pull out, I just kept going.  I am semi-glad I stood up and got sugar water poured on my head and back from the hummingbird feeder.  At least, it slowed me down.  To top it off -- those plants have absolutely nothing to do with getting ready for Thanksgiving.  Urgh!!

Speaking of Thanksgiving for those of you who live in the USA, are you having to prepare food or the house for family and friends to come over?  If you are I hope you have already done your shopping.  It is amazing how certain items seem to disappear from the shelves.  Are you like me?  Have you always known your pie tastes better than store bought, so you would put yourself in extra fatigue and pain to make it?  Is it a matter of pride?  I can only ask these questions, because I have been there so many times.  Next question:  is it worth doing that to yourself at this late date?  Homemade pumpkin pie tastes good at Christmas time too.  And I don't know if you can have pumpkin pie at Hanukkah and some of the other religions.  That just happens to be one of our family traditions.  Have you ever bought a smoked turkey?  Ummmm... Ask other people to help.  Buy rolls that you just stick in the oven, instead of making them.


If you are beginning to feel stressed and overloaded, give yourself a break.  I have learned there are times I can't have my pumpkin pie and eat it too.  I enjoy being with my family more when I have saved some energy for being with them. This year we are going to our daughter's house for Thanksgiving;  and I am taking pie and a casserole, but they can both be prepared a couple of days ahead.  So today, I will cook the casserole.  It tastes better after it sits a couple of days anyway.  However, if I run out of steam, I  will not hesitate to send my husband to the store for pumpkin pie.  Also, as a good friend reminded me today, I don't have to clean my house before I go.  The mess is not going to go anywhere:  it will still be here.  I sure do love my friend.

Incidentally, did you know you do not have to go to the store on Black Friday?  Isn't that awful?  We have a wonderful holiday to thank God for our blessings;  then, the day after is Black -- yuck --why couldn't it be white or green or red or Family Friday?!  Some stores are opening on Thanksgiving.  I feel so sorry for employees that have to work on a family holiday, unless, they are in the travel industry or medicine.  My dad had to work if it was his day to work, so we always timed our family celebrations when he was going to be home.  That was an aside -- back to shopping.  

Since I have been ill, I have been letting my fingers do the walking on the computer more than I ever did before.  I have to admit to having been an Amazon.com fan for several years.  I even get most of my purchases delivered for free.  It is worth a Prime Membership, because it saves on shipping.  My grandkids love getting a box in the mail from Amazon.  They will even put a message in there for you.  We would love to be there for all their birthdays, but sometimes my husband's work schedule doesn't allow or I am too sick.  

Speaking of stores, I hope the ads on my site do not offend you.  I don't work outside the home anymore, so I thought this would be a way I could save money for my next computer.  Unfortunately, computers don't last forever.  I just want you to know that I started my blog to help other people with chronic illnesses, not to make money. Moreover, I love having the ability to post things that have helped me or I think are cool.  I am full of asides today.  I just wanted you to know, the blog is for you.  That is the important thing. It is my heart's desire for you to be blessed.  I am praying for a happy and healthier holiday for you.  God bless!

Gentle hugs, 

Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is always lovely hearing from you.
Deborah