Thursday, March 14, 2013

Weak Muscles? Or Just A Feeling?

Despite the fog that eventually surrounds  my brain after reading reports on medical research concerning muscle weakness in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, I have come away with a couple of ideas concerning muscle weakness.

First of all there are different types of muscle weakness: true and perceived.  What I was thinking about today is how much muscle weakness in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is actual physical weakness and how much is perceived by our brain to be weakness.  I don't know about you, but nobody has actually tested my muscle strength in different situations or during a flare-up.  I may have pushed on the doctor's hand or something as she pushed back, but I don't remember.  One thing I do know is I have never been hooked up to any monitors or any devices that would empirically compile evidence for actual muscle strength.  The only thing I have to go by is how I feel.

However, after leaving the house for the first time in two months, I am convinced that my muscle strength is definitely affected after this last flare-up.  All I did was go to the hair salon and walk around the corner to a small antique mall.  But it was hard:  I got very shaky the more I walked about, and then I began to lightly perspire, and I felt quite pale.  I was glad I could make it back to the car, and I live in a small town.  So it did not take long to get home.

Have you had similar experiences?  Join me on facebook, so we can talk about it:  


                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is always lovely hearing from you.
Deborah