Monday, November 18, 2013

Clean Is Possible

Seeing this picture of my dusted, neatly displayed books, and other items is a lift to the hope in my heart, that I can get to the point of being able to easily keep my house clean and uncluttered.  The bookcases were the last things I cleaned in the living room.  I usually give them a quick once-over, but this time I took the two days to do the job right.  

Sore knees, as well as tired and achy body, slow me down;  however, they don't have to keep me down.  Nor, do similar conditions have to keep you from doing things you would like to get done.  

Sometimes, persevering and sticking to it seems easier said than done;  but, you can do your chores in baby steps.  It's a matter of dedication.  

Some people learn to pace themselves and get the house in a reasonably clean condition faster than others.  Learning the how-to's is often dependent on a number of circumstances, so don't have a guilt trip over how long it takes you to develop a routine you can manage.  It has literally taken me years to develop my habits to a point I do not have to stuff things in a closet or take them out to the garage to have a house that looks clean.  I still consider myself and my habits as works in progress.




What are some of the negative circumstances that often keep people who have chronic illnesses and chronic conditions from keeping their homes uncluttered and clean?  

  • Stress
  • Fatigue
  • Relapses
  • Flares
  • Depression
  • Guilt
  • Anxiety
  • Surgery
  • Pain
  • Afraid pain will develop from being more active
  • Lack of help or/and understanding in your home
  • Permanent Disability
  • Financial Conditions
  • Have developed bad habits while ill
  • Have grown physically weak from being sedentary



Two months ago, I did a detailed cleaning of the master bedroom.  My bedroom is still clean!  I am more conscious of hanging clothes up and putting my belongings away.  Dusting the bedroom is easier.  My next detailed cleaning of the master bedroom should be simpler.  I don't want it to take five days to get the job done, nor do I want to breathe in dust every night, as I sleep.  

It is lovely to know this is working.  I am feeling more confident that I can keep my home cleaned and uncluttered, despite my illnesses and my flare-ups.  

The truth is there have been bumps in the road for me.  I have gotten rooms clean before, and I've had them go back to messy.  However, the more I work at this, the better it gets.  In my gut, I have known there was a way to take care of my house better, even while ill.  Now, I am being assured by the results I am experiencing.


What can you achieve as you build better habits?  Can you let go of obsessions?  The following list may be some things that have bothered you:  obsessions over what you keep in your house; obsessing that the house has to be cleaned or decluttered in one day or one week; obsessions that only the way you clean is right;   and the obsession that if the house is not perfect, than it is not clean.  




Baby steps will get you there.  





We can do this.  We can improve our habits.  We can get the clutter out of our houses.  

Together,    We    Can   Do   This.  

You and I are thinking about decluttering:  getting it out of the house, and cleaning our homes, because we want it.  We want to enjoy the serenity of living in a clean, tidy environment.

I am praying for you, and I am cheering you on.

Love, 

Deborah






3 comments:

  1. I am loving all your photos! My school room is always the last area I tend. With so much stuff in there, books, school supplies, and toys, I seem to leave it for last--the thought of tackling that project is exhausting. But viewing your lovely shelves has given me the desire. I think I will start that room this week, even though I was thinking of leaving it last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels so much better to walk in my Living Room, which is it for family gathering to sit on couch and watching tv, etc.. It feels nice to walk in my bedroom as well, like it should. I am so glad you are motivated and encouraged. It makes it worth all the time and energy it takes to write this blog to know it is helping people. Love you, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son and I just moved and a friend who was living with us passed away recently. I packed everything for the move, unpacked and put it all into place, then repacked my friends things. Her daughter came today and took it all away so now my desperate need for rest (I have fibromyalgia) is warring with my OCD to get it clean now. First things first though. I'm going to pack some more boxes, this time for the Salvation Army to pick up! I know I should have done this BEFORE the move, but caring for my friend took precedence. I'm looking forward to perusing your tips! :)

    ReplyDelete

It's always lovely hearing from you. xoxo, Deborah