Thursday, August 6, 2015

Sorting Through Old Cards and Boxes: Is It Worth It?

image courtesy of somkku9
FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Yesterday and Today, I have been working on what some people might consider the dullest of tasks. However, I have not found it dull, even though I am feeling drained now;  but, only because of the work and the many emotions that cross the barriers of my mind during this job.  Also, I tend to get drawn into it, and I have a hard time stopping.  I found myself ignoring the timer.

If you are like me, you are the spouse that usually gets the sorting tasks;  so, I put aside whatever I have I think might be important, throw away other stuff, and shred the rest.  My goal is to condense a lifetime into a couple of boxes.  I thought I had done that, but I found I was not satisfied with the job. Sometimes, I think that if it all burned up, I would still be who I am now.  But I have to admit that it is interesting seeing how I have traveled the journey.  Also, I am blessed to have been married for many years, and it is nice to see where we have been together in our lives.  



image courtesy of chrisroll
FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Mixed in with our lives is recalling happy times, difficult times, the people that loved us, and ordinary daily events.  It is up to each of us to decide how to sort this;  and, I am not going to give advice on what you should do.  However, I am going to tell you what some of my personal guidelines have been. 

My Guidelines for Sorting Through Relics of My Past

  1. Save pictures from different stages of our family's lives.  Save enough that each grown child can have their own copies.  Don't save all of them if you took a lot of pictures.  Save the ones with special meaning.
  2. Save cards and letters that remind you of special relationships.  If you have a lot of the same type of card, then you may not want them all.  Save samples of special letters from your parents, your spouse, your children, and other important people.
  3. Some people may not agree, but I have also found it cathartic to throw away some of the things from places and people that are no longer in my life.  Many of them are only memories to me, and I have lived too full a life in too many places (work related) to keep up with all of them.  I think some people may feel guilty about this, but I have to grow where I am planted now.  If I can become reacquainted with some people someday, that would be nice;  however,  that is going to have to based on more than the past.  I do regret that we cannot connect with some people, but it is physically impossible.  Someday in Eternity, then I hope to see some of those wonderful people.
  4. image courtesy of Simon Howden
    FreeDigitalPhotos.net
  5. Plastic bins would be nice for keeping the saved things.  My sinuses are still suffering from inhaled dust and debris.  The plastic bins will keep out insects.  Yes, they do get in there, even if you have a clean house.  Certain insects love paper and cardboard.


Best of luck in searching through your things and cutting them down to size.  Be strong and be brave:  you can do it!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It is always lovely hearing from you.
Deborah